Thursday, May 04, 2006

News for Just One Day

Fintan Steele served as a board member of the Massachusetts Biotechnology Education Foundation, the educational arm of the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council (MBC), for the past couple of years. When he discovered that Tom Finneran, the President of MBC, had signed the petition to protect the definition of marriage between a man anda women, he decided to resign from his post.

"Steele said that in several e-mail and voice mail exchanges, Finneran explained his signing of the petition by saying that the people of Massachusetts should have the opportunity to vote on the definition of marriage."
This is America that I live in right? We as citizens of this DEMOCRATIC country do have a right to voice our opinions......don't we?
"I believe that your action is a terribly inaccurate reflection of the industry by its official organization in Massachusetts." Steele said in a letter in regards to Finneran signing the petition.
No, Mr. Steele, your inability to see that Know Thy Neighbor is exposing those who practice their right to affiliate themselves with a cause in a negative light is against the law and protected under the Massachusetts Civil Rights Act (MCRA).
So, let me get this straight. If some CEO of a major corporation had signed the traditional marriage petition, that is not “anti-gay” in any way because it recognizes those same-sex couples who are now getting "married", then they should be harassed by such organizations such as MassEquality and Know Thy Neighbor because they practiced democracy?
"He (Finneran) can say, 'I signed the petition as a private citizen,' Steele told Bay Windows an openly gay magazine, "but he knows that this is going to be a public record."
The only way to find out who signed the petition is by going to a town or city hall and finding out who signed it. So, with every citizen-initiated petition, the public should go to a town hall to see who practiced democracy and ridicule them for practicing their rights? I just don't get it!!
I love then what Know Thy Neighbor says of Mr. Steele's decision to resign:
"Thank you, Fintan, for your courage and personal sacrifice and for refusing to sit back while others work to take your rights away."
Things, once again, are not balancing out, as is the case for a previous celebration from Know Thy Neighbor regarding the volunteer board of fire engineers’ candidate Leo Childs.
Please leave your comments here and on Know Thy Neighbors Blog page to express your viewpoints on Mr. Steele's decision.

8 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

You mean to tell me that someone thought they should have the RIGHT to vote on an issue? Oh my goodness! Sound the warning bells! What is this country coming to?

Seriously, SCIA, things just get more and more absurd as each day passes. Homosexual marriage is NOT a right. Voicing your opinions (EVEN if they differ from the vast MINORITY) and voting IS.

9:10 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger SCIA said...

Stories like these, Jennifer, make our job that much easier.

They can shoot themselves in the foot until they are blue in the face as far as I am concerned.

11:56 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Tyler Dawbin said...

{reality OFF}

I just admire how they are always so nice to me on my blog and on the KTN blog.

It proves to me that all they really want is to express their love to one another...because it is all about the love, isn't it?

{reality ON}

Wow, they have been vicious lately! If this is their form of "conversion therapy" then I can understand why it's so hard to be a homosexual. You get pressured and pressured and pressured, until you finally give in and agree with them, and then you're told that there is no way out, because you were born this way!

Let's rip the blinders off our society.

7:08 AM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger SCIA said...

I agree Tyler, but we must do it in peace because then the "ping-pong game" just continues.

1:28 PM, May 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You religion does not give you the right to make choices for others. If people want to get married I say let them. One thing everybody seems to forget is our society's ability to adapt to change. The best choices will be maintained, and the bad will soon be forgotten. Why worry so much?

11:01 AM, May 07, 2006  
Blogger SCIA said...

Anonymous,

You said:
"Your religion does not give you the right to make choices for others."

I am not sure what you are getting at. When did I ever mention anything about my religion? It is not something I talk about period because it has nothing to do with same-sex "marriages".

My constitutional right as a registered voter gives me the right to vote on an issue that has not been voted on by the people of the Commonwealth. Yes, I will not decide, Massachusetts voters will.

You said:
"Why worry so much?" referring to societies ability to adapt to change, in this case same-sex "marriages".

It seems you have not educated yourself of the consequences of same-sex "marriages" or you have just listened to what the mainstream media has indoctrinated you with.

Let me give you a chance to read more of my posts before I provide an irrefutable rebuttal to your last statement and if you still hold the same beliefs, I will provide you a teaching lesson.

Thanks for stopping by anonymous, but next time come to the table with facts to back up your claims.

6:53 AM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

I, too, am worried about the "ping pong" effect. Just yesterday I gathered with my friend and members of her family from all different states. We all had one thing in common--we are all believers in Christ. We began to discuss some hot-button issues, one of them being homosexuality and SSM. The one thing that struck me was the absolute LOVE they showed for ALL people. Over and over the point was made that homosexuality is no worse a sin than any other, and the need that the Church has to LOVE on homosexuals while telling them they can be set free. Then, we got on the topic of Rev. Phelps and all of us were shocked and appalled at his antics. One participant even said, "I think he is no more a christian than the man on the moon!" It makes me very discouraged to know that ALL of evangelical believers are being judged by the actions of this one nut. We are being judged unfairly. It is ALWAYS unfair to judge a whole group of people on the basis of one person.

Yes, I do believe that homosexuality is a sin, and it is a sin that God wants to set people free from. But it is no worse than the sins I commit. I also believe that marriage was intended by God to be between one man and one woman, and I will fight for that, not because I hate homosexuals but because I uphold the sanctity of marriage as created by God.

8:32 AM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Tyler Dawbin said...

I agree, anonymous...why worry so much? Why are those people that are pro-ssm so worried about the people voting, when their own polls say that the people overwhelmingly approve of SSM? Allowing the vote doesn't mean making SSM illegal, if that is the case...it means letting the people decide, rather than UNCONSTITUTIONALLY letting the SJC decide.

As I understand it, MassEquality is pushing their own petition in neighborhoods around Massachusetts, but I can't get a hold of it to even find out what it is, or what it proposes. Do you have any idea?

6:08 PM, May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com