Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Interview with Know Thy Neighbor.org

In a brief e-mail dialog, Mark Nystedt, a resident of Haverhill, MA, talked with Tom Lang, director of Know Thy Neighbor.org.

Mr. Nystedt wanted to know why Know Thy Neighbor, KTN, posted the names of those who signed the traditional marriage petition amendment this past Fall. The dialog is brief and I will post more responses as they become available.
Mark Nystedt marknystedt@yahoo.com wrote:
"A few weeks ago, I asked Tom Lang, director of KnowThyNieghbor, why KTN posted the names of the marriage amendment signers if not to intimidate potential signers as would a hate group do. His first response was to tell me to go to the KTN website and "You tell me." I responded that I had made a similar inquiry of the not-so-good people at the GodHatesFags web site and that their response was similar to Tom's. So, Tom responded more politely informing me that the KTN list of petition signers was to facilitate dialog between the pro and anti-amendment camps. That didn’t pass my smell test; so I asked him if I posted the names of gay and lesbian married couples "to facilitate dialog" if that would pass his smell test."
Tom Lang responded:
“Here we go again with this analogy. If those "legally married gay and lesbian couples" got together and sponsored an initiative petition to take away the rights of another group of people and they went out and deceived and tricked voters into signing and they focused their attention on other gay and lesbians to sign this petition that would change our Constitution to allow for discrimination....then knock yourself out and post their names. I would even post them for you on KTN."
Mr. Nystedt responded:
“If the analogy aint broke,.... I have no interest in posting names because I know it wouldn't facilitate dialog anymore than you know that your posting names would facilitate dialog. So, why did you post the names of petition signers if not to intimidate potential signers?
So far your responses have been "You tell me," "to facilitate dialog," and "here we go again." So, to use your words, "here we go again with" the "discrimination" and "change the Constitution" arguments. There is nothing wrong with discrimination - elected officials need to be a certain age, people need to be of a certain age to marry, polygamy is illegal, etc. Dealing with the financial interests of couples can be done by other means. And there is nothing wrong with changing the Constitution. The Constitution permits changes.
So far, you haven't convinced me that KTN is not a hate group. Your responses have been sarcastic, and KTN people have acted hostile to me in the past, which are all characteristics of hate groups. Do you want to try again?
P.S. You talk of VoteOnMarriage petition fraud; but you neglect to mention GLBT(Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgenderism - an organization to protect the rights of these individuals) /KTN disqualifying of signatures with their extraneous marks/scribbles and other misconduct. Your silence is deafening.
When I began this email dialog, it was to confirm what I already suspected - that KTN is an East Coast citified hate group a la the redneck godhatesfags hate group. There was no interest in attempting to change your mind in the amendment petition matter. Now, it appears as if you have stopped dialoging which belays your contention that the KTN posting of petition names was to facilitate dialog, not to intimidate. You have painted yourself into a corner and have probably blamed it on my supposed homophobia.
I don't expect you to respond to this P.S. as I have proved to myself the true nature of KTN. Maybe someday you will be convinced of this also."

3 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing this.

3:31 PM, May 24, 2006  
Blogger Tyler Dawbin said...

This is GREAT information.

I just got an e-mail from FIAT asking to e-mail my legislators. They've put the alternate amendment before the real amendment! What a dirty trick!

8:22 PM, May 28, 2006  
Blogger SCIA said...

Dirty trick for sure. They are just so afraid of democracy and the people's vote. Pretty sad if you ask me Tyler!!

6:45 PM, May 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com